Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Controllers, Do They Really Make A Difference?

I have owned a Playstation, Playstation 2 and Playstation 3 and one factor that led me to buy these consoles was the controller. I honestly believe that a controller can make or break a console.

I remember back in the 90's using the Nintendo 64 controller for the first time, it was awkward to say the least. To this day I can't use that piece of junk effectively. Don't get me started on the horrendous GameCube controller.  I never thought Nintendo would be capable of producing a more terrible controller than the N64's, well they proved me wrong. The GameCube controller had buttons of different sizes and an asymmetrical layout which would confuse the hell out of me. I for one don't enjoy repeatedly hitting the wrong buttons due to a poor design. It was as if a toddler came up with the design for that controller. As you can tell, I never played N64 or GameCube very often.

Aside from those two pieces of molded plastic, I don't have that much of a beef with any other controllers that Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony have released in the past two decades. I know what it is, I prefer symmetrical button layouts on controllers, it just feels more natural. I'm curious to see if the next generation of controllers will be the same for Microsoft and Sony, it would be amusing to see a PS4 with that E3  2005 "Batarang" controller.

No comments:

Post a Comment