Saturday, August 14, 2010

Why Is Counter-Strike Like Crack?

As a child I used to play a lot of video games a lot more than I do now. I remember when I was first introduced to the FPS genre when I was about 9. The first FPS and PC game that I ever played was Counter-Strike (CS).

At the time my PC was not very good and I had Dial-up for my internet (which my parents restricted me from using as a child, I rarely used my home computer), so I would go to internet cafes with my friends and we would play CS for hours on end, It was probably one of the best games I had ever played.

Fast forward a few years, I was in the 8th grade. Me and 3 of my friends decided to band together and rent a server so we could be admins on CS and create a clan. It ended up costing us each $8 a month so it seemed reasonable. This is where my CS addiction began. My friends and I created our clan and learned the ropes of being admins. Those were good times but I quickly became obsessed with the game, I would play for 8, 10, 12 hours a day. Playing the same maps over and over again trying to hone my skills, it became routine and gradually worsened. I invested so much time into that game that it was getting ridiculous. For what? I really don't know; maybe to say I was better than my friends. Eventually, my mother had enough, she put her foot down and banned me from playing CS for a couple weeks and when I was able to play it again I was only allowed to play for a couple hours at a time.

Now That I think about it, I probably had a little taste of what gaming addiction. It was like a drug, I couldn't stop myself from playing...Well, I am glad that I haven't experienced anything like my CS addiction ever since I stopped playing that game back in the 9th grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment