Sunday, June 6, 2010

Prince of Persia The Sands Of Time, Best Video Game Movie?

So last week I decided to go watch Prince of Persia the Sands of Time (PoP) and I must say I underestimated how good the film would be. Well to be honest I was keeping my standards pretty low because I can be a pretty tough movie critic but I went into this movie knowing it would simply be a summer action flick, with more emphasis on special effects and action rather than character development.


With that being said, I thought it was a fun and entertaining movie. I don't get why critics are giving it such low review scores. It seems like film critics are rating it as if the movie was some kind of intense drama that has tons of character development and a plot that flows seamlessly. That really phases me because the film is base on a platforming game! I shouldn't be a simple task to create a film based on a platformer that is not disastrous. Prince of Persia did have its flaws but they were flaws that I was willing to disregard because I just wanted to see a good action flick and this film satisfied my needs. Also, I didn`t mind that the writers changed up the plot in the film from the games plot (i.e. the lack of sand monsters) but they made this change in a way where they kept the key elements of the original story which made the changes in the plot acceptable. Seeing as how almost all films based on video games fail miserably (sans Resident Evil and Tomb Raider films) I was rather pleased with Prince of Persia being a half decent movie.


The thing that will keep me laughing for a while is the fact that Prince of Persia, a Disney film based on a video game had a great deal more action than Iron Man 2 (which was pretty disappointing I might add) and I found that it more entertaining than Iron Man 2. Well the haters can say what they want but I think Prince of Persia has broken the trend so that movies based on games can move forward and potentially become great films. Thus Prince of Persia The Sands of Time is now the best video game movie to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment