Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Halo Reach, Why Can't Your Campaign Be Epic?

I have been waiting for Reach for quite some time now and last weekend I had tbe opportunith to play it. Don't get me wrong the campaign was not bad, I thought the plot was engaging and the ending left me satisfied. I just like the gameplay was missing something.

Compared to the dramatic cutscenes the gameplay seemed a bit lackluster, it was just the usual Halo. I know if it ain't broke don't fix it but the games in the Halo series just fell like carbon copies of each other. One thing that vexes me is that it feels like Reach has barely anything happening on screen, compare it to the Killzone 3 beta and Crysis 2 and it makes me feel like Bungie could have done a lot more, to make the experience more engaging.

I know that it is difficult to bring something new and fresh to the table, especially in the super saturated first person shooter market. But the developers invest all this time and money on these games, so i would expect a little bit more.One example I always go back to is the weather effects in Killzone 2, which are even in the multi-player component of the game, it sets the very dark mood of the game and besides the effects look great and ads some realism. Well what I wanted the most was to get that feeling of scale, you know like in Shadow of the Colossus or God of War 3, something to make me take a step back and admire the epicness (yeah I know I made that word up but you guys get the gist of it), I just felt Reach was missing that and it left me unsatisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment