Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Call of Duty Black Ops, can this mark the end of World War 2 shooters?

As many of you may know the next installment in the Call of Duty series, Call of Duty Black Ops (aka COD 7) will have a modern setting which is pretty surprising since Treyarch is developing this game. Honestly I was pretty damn worried about Black Ops being another WWII game before it was officially unveiled to the public simply because Treyarch has only made WWII games in the past. The trailer that was released seemed pretty cool, they had an interesting little clip where it looked like helicopters will be vehicles that you can fly in the game. I am pretty sure many people can agree with me on the fact that WWII games a dead, the market for these games has already become saturated quite some time ago and that it only seems reasonable for developers to stop making them as frequently. So I was pretty happy to see that these developers got the message and started moving forward and trying something a little bit different for once.

Although I am glad that Black Ops will be in a modern setting I am afraid that Treyarch will do what they have done in the past and essentially copy and paste the previous game in the series which was done by Infinity Ward. I personally never really enjoyed any of the Call of Duty games done by Treyarch, but I disliked Call of Duty World at War (COD 5) the most. The reason for this dislike was a result of Treyarch pretty much copying Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare in terms of gameplay mechanics including the multiplayer component. The only major changes I noticed were the character models the addition of getting dogs for a kill streak (oh I hated those dogs with a passion) and the maps, which were pretty crappy maps in my eyes. What I am getting at is that I was pretty irked to see Treyarch release a game with little to no improvement from the previous game in the series. I know if it ain't broke don't fix it but Treyarch should have tried harder to make Call of Duty World at War their own.

Well my gut is telling me that Call of Duty Black Ops is is just going to be a re-skinned version of Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (COD 6), but I have my fingers crossed and I am hoping that Treyarch for once will put a little originality and effort into their final product. On the bright side, I don't have to worry about fighting off those zombie Nazis anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment